Tuesday, 14 March 2017

RESTAURANT REVIEW | NORTH



I haven't done a little restaurant review in quite some time so I'm sorry if this is a little rusty...! Anyway, I've walked past North - sister bar of Frank's Bar - on a fair few occasions on my way to Magdalen Street in Norwich, and it's always been pretty busy - but in a good way, not overcrowded, just busy enough to make you think they must be doing something right for so many people to stop by for lunch (does that make sense?). It's in a somewhat awkward location - not quite city centre, but also not quite in the hustle and bustle of Anglia Square - however, the location is great for people watching at the front or a pretty view of the River Wensum from the side, and even has a cute hidden courtyard tucked away at the back too!
The interiors are pretty spot on too, with splashes of colour everywhere! Palm print wallpaper (how I didn't get a photo of this is beyond me!), contrasting coloured lighting, an array of hanging and potted plants, and of course the all important board games for them lazy afternoons of coffee and/or cider!


On to the food! There are three separate menus - one for breakfast, one for lunch, and one for dinner - and all looked full of things that a foodie like myself would like to try, so I'll definitely be back at some point to test out the breakfast and evening menus! This day, I was out for lunch with my parents and thankfully we all had our eye on different things on the menu (always good when doing a little food review)!
Although I'm not veggie, I do actually find most meals don't need meat and this was one of them - The Vegetarian Platter, shown above. The dip was my favourite component of the meal, and dipped and mixed it with everything! It went especially well with the toasted bread and I loved the homemade tortillas with it too. I felt the tabbouleh lacked seasoning - which also wasn't provided on the table - but again, mixing with the dip definitely improved it.
On to the Mackerel on Sourdough Toast - a simple dish, that was a little small for my Dad but meant he could help me out with my platter! He commented that the mackerel was as good and smoked as any, but the horseradish mayo lacked the kick he was expecting it to have, although he did still enjoy the plate. My mum was really pleased with her Tomato and Lentil Soup, commenting you could tell it was homemade and packed full of flavour.
Lastly, on to the Spicy Whitebait that we put in to the centre of the table to share, and what also turned out to be our favourite part of the meal! Cooked fresh to order, they came out piping hot with a good dollop of garlic mayo. It was just totally on point, and so nice to pick at between our own dishes!


A lovely cafe-come-restaurant-come-bar that's well worth a visit. I look forward to heading back in the evening not just for food but trying it out as a bar, in the perfect spot opposite The Mischief and less than a minute walk to The Glasshouse! Let me know if you've tried out North before! And also any other places you think I should try around Norwich!

Check out North's website and Social Media links for further information, location and what's new, by clicking the links here > Website | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

Follow Rose and Weston on Bloglovin' | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest x

8 comments:

  1. that restaurant looks so lovely! the food looks so scrummy too
    www.marylee31.blogspot.com
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Norwich has so many lovely cafes these days! It's hard to decide between them where to go! x

      Delete
  2. This restaurant looks so cute! The food looks incredible too! Would definitely love to give this restaurant a go! x

    TOUCHOFGS // BLOGLOVIN 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you make it to Norwich, there are SO many cute cafes to try! Loving your fashion edits by the way! x

      Delete
  3. You have amazing photos! The veggie platter looks delish x

    Blog | Bits of Reg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aw thanks Regina! I was so good, might try to recreate the platter at home myself! x

      Delete
  4. This looks lovely I'll be going there to try that out for sure one weekend soon! I'm new at blogging and would love to hear any tips on how to make my page look more professional! Yours looks so nice and I have no clue how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Polly! I'm unfortunately not any good when it comes to lay out, so I worked with the company 'Pipdig' to sort it for me - maybe give them a search? Very jealous you've been to Shiki and Figbar, they're both very high on my list of next places to visit! x

      Delete